Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Fault In Our Stars - John Green

Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publication information: Penguin (2012)

John Green once said in one of his Youtube vlogs that to be a great author was to make a reader "feel all of the things" and this novel definitely does this.

The story follows the main protagonist, Hazel, who has been struggling through cancer for three years, and a boy called Augustus Waters. The story basically follows the development of their relationship and their journey to find out the real ending to Hazel's favourite book, An Imperial Affliction, from fictional author Peter van Houten.

The characters in this novel were phenomenol. Hazel, although I obviously do not know how she is feeling throughout the book, is strangely relateable and Augustus is the best male love interest that I have ever read about. The personalities of all the characters really shine through the writing and their own personal stories evokes a myriad of emotions in the reader as you read about their struggles. Isaac is often said to be people's favourite character in this book but to be honest, I could not get over how perfectly unperfect Hazel and Augustus were as a couple and individually.

The plot was, as always with John Green novels, enchanting, keeping you gripped from the start and wanting more, even through the tears. I think that this novel is by far the best of his works that I have read so far and this is the most emotionally involved I have ever been with a book before. The plot was interesting and kept you reading whole-heartedly through the good and the bad.

The writing, as ever, was amazing. The pacing was perfect, the writing style matched Hazel's bright personality and the tone never contrasted with the story, everything just matched perfectly. This book has a brilliant balance of humour, happiness, romance, despair and grief to keep you hooked, even after the final words.

Overall, I would definitely give The Fault In Our Stars by John Green 5 out of 5 stars. I have never been this affected by a fictional novel before and I am sure that, although most reviews say something similar, I have never been more emotional by the end of a book than I am now with this one. Truly a work of artistic genius by John Green and I just wish more young adult books were written to this standard.

I just thought I'd show as well my copy of this book; the signing more specifically. I found this book in a local Waterstones store and I never expected it to be signed but I got a JScribble and a Hanklerfish so I just had to give it a home! There was also this note in it so I was so happy! 
Overall this is definitely my favourite book of 2012 so far, if not of all time, and I highly recommend it to any reader of any age... this is just a must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment