Monday, September 10, 2012

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams

Title: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Author: Douglas Adams
Publishing information: Pan Books

This book is about Dirk Gently, a self-styled private investigator, who sets out to prove the fundamental interconnectedness of everything. I picked this book up for 20p at a local market which was amazing although the condition of my copy isn't very good but for that price, who would turn that down?!

The plot overall is quite a confusing one but captivating all the same. The story includes a mysterious mrder, pizza, professors and quantum mechanics, amongst other strange and wonderful things. Although in parts I got a bit lost, I found this very entertaining and it raises interesting and thought-provoking ideas about the universe.

I love the characters in this book. They're all very eccentric and strange but this adds to the mystery and excitement of the plot. I really like the intelligence of the characters, especially Dirk and Richard, because it creates intrigue and makes you really think about subjects that I, personally, wouldn't know about.

I have never read any of Douglas Adams' work and have only seen The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and will definitely be reading the book after reading this one. I found his writing captivating although very technical at some points. I enjoyed the short chapters even though the book itself is only 247 pages long.

Overall, I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars because although I enjoyed it, the ending wasn't as good as I thought it should be. I enjoyed the sci-fi aspect and the mystery too, and will definitely be reading more of Douglas Adams' books.


No comments:

Post a Comment