Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Fry Chronicles - Stephen Fry

Title: The Fry Chronicles
Author:Stephen Fry
Publication information: Penguin

This is the autobiography of Stephen Fry detailing his life from high school until he reached the age of thirty.

You can't really describe the plot of an autobiography because this is the point of reading the story of someone's life. I have to say that the "plot" of this book is captivating. I am a fan of all of Stephen Fry's work from A Bit of Fry and Laurie to QI. I have a huge respect for this great national treasure and it was interesting to find out more about his education and career. I found it all to be very insightful about an acting/writing career and enjoyed hearing of the funny stories of his past.

Many famous and wonderful people are mentioned in this book, many of whom I recognise as being brilliant; Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie and Rowan Atkinson play a large part in this book, but also Douglas Adams (author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), Chris Barrie (who later starred in Red Dwarf) and Robert Lindsay, amongst others, are also mentioned.

The writing is what made me pick this book up in the first place. It is written in such as way that it feels as though Stephen Fry is speaking to you and, in fact, on several occasions he directly addresses the reader which makes you really connect with what you are reading. It was difficult to get into at first but I got into it after a few pages and just loved the intelligence that seeps out of this style of writing whilst still sounding real and even using some swear words. The ending shocked me and definitely suggests a follow-up which I am now really looking forward to reading.

I would give this 5 out of 5 stars and would recommend it to any lover of Stephen Fry and anyone who is interested in biographies/autobiographies because I promise you this is one of the best you'll read.

No comments:

Post a Comment