Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde



Title: Shades of Grey
Author: Jasper Fforde

This book is set in the future in a world where the visibility of colours is what sets your social status, and the protagonist, Eddie, sets out on an adventure that leads him to question the way society is run and the mysteries that surround East Carmine.

I found the plot really interesting and absorbing from the start as the world was fully developed and was entirely believable. I found that even when there wasn't something action filled happening, the mystery kept me gripped.

The characters are what kept me hooked on this book. The side characters really supported the main plot and were completely developed which is rare for side characters. My favourite was Jane, her feistinous and attitude made her a more human character than the rest of the inhabitants of Fforde's new world.

The writing style was easily understandable and interesting to read as there were some parts very unique to this version of the future. I really liked the way the names reflected the character's colours and despite this being quite a lengthy book, it flowed well from beginning to end.
Overall, I would give this 5 out of 5 stars as the writing , plot and characters dragged you into the world and I can't wait to read the sequels.

No comments:

Post a Comment