Wednesday, January 23, 2013

An Abundance of Katherines - John Green

Title: An Abundance of Katherines
Author: John Green

This book is the last of John Green's books that are not co-written with anyone else that I have read. After loving all of his other books, I was slightly dubious about reading this one as it seems to be everyone's least favourite for some reason, but I found this in my local Waterstones book store signed and couldn't believe it so decided to give it a try. An Abundance of Katherines is about a teenage boy called Colin who only goes out with girls called Katherine and finds himself heartbroken by K-19. This is about his journey to create a mathematical theorem that can predict the future of any relationship.

I found the plot of this John Green book one of the best of the books I have read in recent months. At first the idea of a heartbroken teenager being the protagonist of the book, put me off slightly as I thought that it might get a bit whingy and Colin might become annoying but I found that I really got sucked into the plot and the way that, as with all John Green books, the style of writing really helped the plot to develop and the characters really helped this simple story to develop into something that was just brilliant.

The characters really made this book. Colin was a really interesting character because he had a deep personality. I really liked that he is obsessed with anagrams as it adds a lot more humour to the story than would otherwise be there. Also I really like all the side characters, especially Hassan, who's quick humour and religious references kept my attention firmly in the plot and counteracted the more methodical character of Colin Singleton.

The writing style was the same as in any John Green book, intelligent, witty and laced with the author's own personality. By no means was An Abundance of Katherines any less good than the other John Green books I have read. In fact I'd have to say that this is one of my favourites.

I would give An Abundance of Katherines by John Green 5 out of 5 stars as it is incredibly well-written and executed.

No comments:

Post a Comment